> James Jarvie wrote:
>
> Now we all seem to agree on two
> additional points (other than wanting the format to
> survive and prosper), those being: 1) Sony is an
> arrogant and short-sighted company and 2) Sony's
> marketing leaves much to be desired.

I demur on (1). I don't know if Sony is arrogant. I suspect it just suffers
from the ills of any big company, massive inertia & difficulty in
understanding the viewpoint of the end-user. Probably someone high up in the
company dreamed up the idea of "End Search". Would they sell more units if
they changed it ? NO. Would someone loose face if they did ? YES.

I wonder what it must be like for a person working at Sony to see the
company getting slagged off for relatively minor (if irritating) "features",
and for not listening, when, in fact, they may be doing their best to make
our views known, but being drowned out by other, more fiscally significant
voices.

I say to Sony - well done for a useful format and some excellent products -
just don't rest on your laurels.

On (2) I have to agree, they don't seem to have a clue. The little marketing
I have seen has been deeply puzzling ...

simon