> I consider the loudness switch on an amplifier as simply a "preset" tone
> modification which provides a bit of extra low-end and high-end
> response to
> the signal, in addition to what was obtained with the tone controls.

Actually, I think this has been stated, but a properly designed loudness
feature would be dependent on the volume.  At low volumes, the loudness
feature should be on at 100%, but at higher volumes, the loudness would
slowly be turned off, until the volume reaches a certain point where the
loudness feature would turn off completely.

Most decent units that have loudness I have seen operate this way, but
cheaper units leave it on all the time regardless of the volume.

I believe Sony's megabass operated this way, whether or not it still
operates this way I'm not clear.