Hi List,

Here are my thoughts on the Aiwa AM-F70s live recording capabilities.

I was side by side with the owner of a Sharp 721, and a Sony DAT Portable.
We were all using Core-Sound Binaural mics, not the low end.  We all had
Bass filters, although not all of us used them.

I had a new Aiwa AM-F70.  I used my Bass Filter (and yes, the battery in the
battery box was new).  I plugged the mic into the mic jack and set the unit
on low level recording.  I never had problems in the past with my Sony
MZ-R30 or R-55 (junk, sh|tty battery life IMHO).
These mics worked great with those units, set on Low Level record.

Anyway, the show was the Smashing Pumpkins in Washington DC.  I safely
smuggled the Aiwa inside.  In my crouch... ;-)  The show rocked, Queens of
the Stone Age rocked.

I got out to my car and couldn't wait to hear the recording.  Well, it
sucked, sucked big time!  The bass cracked, and it sounded like I had a
blown speaker or headphone...  I was bummed.

I got addresses from the other tapers with me, and I received CD-Rs from
both of them.  The DAT guy used his Bass Filter, and he also mixed his stuff
down on some mixer (girls name, Christy or something) before putting it on
CD-R.

The guy with the 721 didn't use his Bass Filter, and he didn't mix the show
down before putting it on CD-R.

I found that the 721 sounded the best.   The Aiwa couldn't handle the bass,
even while using the filter.  My Sony's never gave me that type of sound.
The Aiwa was returned to Circuit City the next day.  It also seemed to me
that this unit cracked bass on every Bass setting except 0, and it still
cracked it on my Smashing Pumpkins concert with the XBass set to 0...

Cheers,

Link (The Best Minidisc Auction Service on EBay/ Username: o3baby)