It sounds like you don't really need oneof those expensive mikes.  I
have  some expensive mikes and some cheap ones.. You gotta have golden
ears to tell the difference between them.  I end up using the one that I
made most of the time because it performs well and is very handy to use
for my purposes. http://www.tir.com/~liteways/Mandolin.html#Microphone
If you don't wanna make one, there  are simular mike available on the
market..... You can use one of those mike that is designed for computer
sound card and get acceptable results, except that it is Mono..  You can
get two of them and get a mono to stereo adaptor for stereo recording
too.

Allens wrote:

> I read Alan's question and wondered the same thing: how much difference is
> there between a cheap mike and an expensive one? Of course it depends what
> you want to do with it... I want to record speech samples. Usually recording
> conditions are quite good: one person in a quiet room, speaking into the
> mike. Do I really need to fork out loads of money?
>
> Secondly, I looked at some big hand held mikes (i.e. not clip on mikes or
> headphone type mikes) and they have large mono plugs, whereas the MD
> recorder has a small stereo jack. The converters in the shops were all small
> mono plugs and do not fit into the socket on my MZ R3. I should add that I
> live in a small town in China and availability of equipment is somewhat
> limited.
>
> As you can tell, I am not technicaly knowledeable at all, but need to record
> data for my research. Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks.
>
> Bryan

Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways