I use a Sony 520 deck and a Sharp 722 portable, and everything recorded
on one plays perfectly on the other, including mono recordings.  I've
been very happy with both units.  I recently got the little Aiwa
bookshelf unit (XDM110? not sure of the number) and it came with a free
portable player, those have worked fine as well.  Of course, I hate any
unit that has only a digital in but no digital out, like that Aiwa and
the Sony CD to MD dubbing deck, what a stupid idea, having no digital
out or keyboard input!