On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Timothy P. Stockman wrote:

        Hi,

        I have recently purchased one portable, and have wondered the same
questions, so I'll try to put my 2 cents now that it's still fresh:

> I'm looking for a portable MD recorder for my sister to use for recording
> interviews with my relatives for a family genealogy project.  She's not
> gadget-phobic, but I'd like to keep operation as simple as possible so she
> can put her thought into the interview, not the recorder.  I think the
> following features would be nice:
>
> 1) NO END SEARCH.  Since I'll be "cleaning up" the raw recordings she makes,
> I'd rather that she doesn't record over anything.  This probably rules out
> Sony...

        Sure. Guess requirement 3 too. I was deciding on a sharp or Aiwa.

> 3) Long record time.  Don't know whether she'll prefer alkalines or
> recharagables, but this is much more important than small size, so a unit
> that has multiple cells or even an external pack (if the whole thing could
> fit into some sort of bag, if it could be operated without removing it from
> the bag) would be OK.

        Both the Sharp >72x and the Aiwa FM-65/70 have additional batts
cases. However, the less power consuming units are by far the sharps.

        Aiwa has a feature that can render useful for you or not: time
stamping. Is also a small, light unit. But has a serious drawback, at
least for my criteria: the MD loading mechanism is clam-shell based, and
that seems to be fairly easy to broke.

        Sharps on the contrary, seems to be the most rugged units, with
the slot-loading mechanism that surely makes them the most though ones in
terms of durability. But no time stamping...

> My plan is to use 2 clip-on mics, one for her and one for the interviewee.
> I would set up the recorder to record her on one channel and the other
> person on the other.  That way I'd have a good opportunity to balance
> things.

        Interesting... the only drawback is that MD duration will be
shorter; depending on interviews duration (guess family, and even more,
genealogy interviews tend to be loong...) that will be a problem or not.

I guess that using two clip-on mics, and recording in mono will suffice,
as the mics will be very close to the sound source. I'd bet that you'd
better record in mono and extend recording, plus the added benefit of fast
playing, which is great for location of specific passages.

        greets,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org