OK, so there are these Sharp remotes, each interchangeable with each other:

1. The 701/702/301/302/401/501/601/311 remote;
2. The 312/722 remote - 2 jogs, alarm, clock, 2-layer display;
3. The 721/521/821 remote - 3 jogs;
4. The 321/322/421/831/531 remote - long, 2 jogs;
5. The ST55 remote - the cheap-looking one.

(2), which is the original 722 remote, only appeared on two Sharp models,
and not in clones either.  So it's always made in smaller numbers than (1),
(3) and (4).  (1) was in production for almost 2 years, so now is about the
time to retire (2) too. Economies of scale, plus the 722 remote costs more.

(2) also requires a button battery to keep the clock running. Sharp may
assume that most users don't necessarily want clock/alarm on the unit,
especially when it doesn't act as a playback timer.

So it's quite a bit of cost reduction. No hard feelings, ok? :)

Leon