Hi Mark,

I just bought an 831 two days ago.  Hot little product.

I just made some digital recordings from my laptop last night.  I bought an
optical cable with the rectangular connector on one end which plugs into my
laptop optical SPDIF output connector.  Then I used my MP3 player to play my
MP3 tracks as I normally do - the data is streamed out the SPDIF port.  You
can put the 831 in synchro mode to autostart when a digital signal is present.

Check out the minidisc appreciation page for more detail on soundcards and
SPDIF:  http://members.tripod.com/~Psych/index.html