There are large advantages of MD over cassette - its editing for one.

But for now I *still* use cassettes for "air checks" of my radio show

1) cost
  This is both as a single unit (reasonable "D90" tapes are typically less than
$1)
  and as the second item
2) Time lenght -
  Get 90min on a MD and Im there - or get the cost per min
  down to the same (aka like $0.75 per 60min MD). Also - for recording stuff -
the
  60min / 90min format works out a bit better
3) Ubuquity -
  *everyplace* has a cassette player - and anyone can play
  a tape that I make (not everyone has MD)

I think if they get MD players in the $50 range and blank MDs in the sub $1
range the format will *really* take off.....