I have the Xitel card and use it to record MP3s to MD happily under
Win98. There are two Linux drivers for the card: one from Aureal and one
from 4Front-tech (http://www.4front-tech.com). The Aureal driver is beta
quality, plays xmms and system sounds fine, and is Quake-compatible. It
is free. It does not drive the optical out connector.

The 4Front driver is production-quality, plays xmms and system sounds
fine, and is compatible with almost every game but Quake. It is
available for nominal cost ($30?) and is under continuing development
(the Aureal driver hasn't been updated since February and it's not clear
it ever will be updated again). It does not drive the optical out connector.

If you want a digital copy of your MP3s, unfortunately, you've got to
bail out to Win98. That's about the only reason I boot Windows anymore...

As an MZ-R90 owner, I'm eager to learn more about Sony's new rumoured
USB-to-MD connector that provides both digital out and titling on the
MZ-R90.  Any scoop?

-Mike