"Shawn R. Lin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Yes, but it is my understanding that you are NOT using the "same setup".
>Your comparison (and I'm going by memory) is that you have a portable MD
>recorder and a portable CD recorder.  The only thing the same in your
>setup are the headphones.  You are using a different DAC, different
>preamp stage, different amplifier stage.  HUGE differences!  This is
>fair to compare those two specific models of equipment to each other,
>but NOT fair to compare MD as a whole, to CD as a whole.

Nope. That was one comparison. And you're correct that it wasn't a fair
one, because the portable CD player I used is often called the
best-sounding portable CD ever.

However, I also pointed out that I did a comparison on my stereo: same
amp, same preamp, same speakers. The only difference is the D/A
converter, since the MD and CD both used their own internal D/A. To be
fair, that's a difference. Unfortunately I don't have a separate D/A
converter to test with. However, I find it very hard to believe that the
Sony's D/A converter is *so* much worse that it accounts for 100% of the
obvious differences in sound quality.

>I think anyone who states that MD sound quality is subjectively inferior
>without ruling out the DAC and all analog stages is stating a flawed
>opinion.  I also personally believe that a non-blind test will affect
>the results, because just the KNOWLEDGE that compression/decompression
>is taking place and the belief that "it is compressed, therefore the
>sound MUST be different" has a way of influencing the listener.

You're correct about the testing methodologies. Although sometime last
fall I read a comparison using a nice double-blind test (with all other
components held constant). CD was judged superior. Can't remember what
magazine it was, though.