From: Dave Kimmel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 6:31 AM
Subject: MD: MD -> MD dubbing?

> I've noticed HMV.com selling some of their selection MiniDisc format,
> which leads to an interesting question (either that or it just shows that
> I don't RTFM enough).  If I have an MD deck with a digital out and try
> record to my MZ-R50, I know I can't record digitally from an MD that is a
> copy of a CD.  Can I record from a store-bought MD to a blank MD without
> SCMS getting in my way?

Yes you can. SCMS lets you make a digital copy of an original, but not a
copy of that copy. Your original in this case is the MD you bought in HMV,
so it will be quite happy with you copying it.

>  Will there be a significant amount of
> degradation?

Define significant. There will be degredation, but how much and how
noticeable depends how sensitive your ears are and on what is in the music!
Some types of sound degrade more quickly than others but I would be
surprised if you notice it. It may even be less degradation than when you
record CDs.

> I know
> that this would cause degradation, but does anyone know if this would
> cause unacceptable degradation in the sound quality?

Again, define unacceptable. I think it's fine, some people wont even notice,
others will treat it like a criminal act if they can't hear an ant fart 200
miles away over the top of a heavy metal band.

>  Is it something that
> someone would even notice?

Possibly, it depends on the music. Having noticed it, would it really bother
you? I've noticed very small differences between original CDs and copies
done digitally on the JB930, but it doesn't bother me because unless I
really listen for it I wouldn't have even noticed.

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]