On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, agusus wrote:

>  === The original message was multipart MIME            ===
>  === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===
>
> Hi all, just joined this list after finding it at minidisc.org.   I'm an =
> 18 year old considering purchasing a minidisc player but I have some =
> doubts...
> First I'll explain what I want to do:
>
> 1.  Listen to music that I have in mp3s and CDs in a compact player
> 2.  Use this player while running or travelling.
>
> As I see it, either a minidisc player/recorder  or one of the new mp3 =
> players (like the Rio) would let me do the above.  I'm not too concerned =
> with sound quality as long as I can't tell a big difference between the =
> two.  I'm not really interested in pre-recorded MDs.

Most MD users don't go in for pre-recorded, its easier to make our
own compilations.  I bought one for the novelty of it.

As for your comment on sound quality, what do you consider a "big difference"?
on lousy speakers, I can't hear the difference between the worst sound source
and the best one.  But if you actually have a good pair of headphones/earbuds
then you will defintely notice a difference (at least in the mp3/MD or mp3/CD
realm.  MD vs. CD is still a considerable debate, I don't notice a difference
but some people swear they can hear it.

> Here are my concerns with MD:
> 1. Expensive

in total cost of ownership and utilization, MD actually comes in
much cheaper than mp3.  You have the initial investment in a player/recorder
and discs, (batteries, if you don't go rechargable)
cost of blank MDs compared to memory cards for an mp3 player, shows quite
clearly which format is less expensive :)

> 2. May be a dying medium?
don't count on it...
MD has been around since the early 90's and is still going.
The popularity hasn't caught on in the states until recently
and it's not "sweeping the nation" but look around you, especially
if you live in a larger city.  I see people all the time with MD units
espcially people that commute on the trains...

>   MD isn't very popular/common in the US and very few people seem to be =
> aware of it.  It hasn't been marketed much and there's the possibility =
> that newer things will replace it (like Mp3 players, CD-RW, and maybe =
> writable DVD).   I know you all will say that minidiscs are better but =
> if the format dies out or doesn't get greater support, it won't matter =
> how much you love it. =20

Well you originally said you wanted portable.  CD,CD-RW, and DVD are NOT
portable.  My definition of portable is something I can slip in my shirt
or pants pocket.  While there may be a trend to "oversized" clothing, do
you really want to stick a portable CD player that is going to constantly
skip in your pocket? (just not a good solution)

> I'm also worried that if the music industry cracks down, they may =
> somehow make it impossible to rip CDs or record mp3s (might take a few =
> years to happen but it might happen).

A. you can always record analog
B. SCMS exists to prevent multi-generation copies of digital music
   and that has been defeated.
C. If the industry "cracks down" that hard, there go your dreams of ANY
   digital, recordable format.  That would kill DVD-RAM,CDR,CD-RW,MD,MP3
   and anything else you want to dream up for the future. (I'm willing
   to bet, that won't happen)

> I'm considering the following MD players/recorders:
> Sony MZ-R70 - $179 at eMall
> Sony MZ-R37 - $159 at eMall   (MSRP is $299!)
> Sharp MD-MS722 - $225 at freeshipping.com
>
> If I get an MD, I'd probably get the MZ-R37 but I'll listen to =
> opinions...

the R70 is smaller and cheaper than the R37, so for portability
you may want to take a harder look at it.