[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Jason Aspinall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Why on earth did Sony not think that people _might_ want to use them for
> > selecting the first ten tracks of a MD??  At least they could've put a menu
> > option in there as to it's function _should_ a multichanger be fitted.
>
> Yes, this occured to me too. You could actually get to all the tracks
> by allowing the "10" button to be suffixed by the other keys (1-10)
> allowing you to add your way to the track you wanted.
>
> I find the MDX-C7900 useable, but I swear almost any one of us could
> have come up with a better user interface for the thing.
>
> See my old rant at: http://www.minidisc.org/c7900_review.html
>
> Rick

I agree, the usage of the 1-10 buttons isn't logic!

But for what I've seen, it has almost the same user interface as all other
Sony car units... Back in 1998, I had no choise, but to buy the 7900. It
was the only unit available in Grenoble (France).

If I compare Sony units with those made by others, I must say the Sonys
look the most attractive. The others have flashing lights everywhere. (My
car sounds like a disco, but it isn't a disco!).

Still, Sony makes strange dissisions when it comes to user-interfaces:

1) end-search...... (Do I nead to say more. And why do they only
   implement it on portables?)

2) the CMD-Z1 (portable GSM phone). It's got a jog-dial. Ie, the little
   well to scroll to menus etcetera. if you've got a menu list that goes
   from top to bottom, it works very intuitive. Ie, you roll down, the
   cursor rolls down. You roll up, the cursor goes up.
   BUT if you have a menu in the form of icons from the left to the right,
   you have to turn right to go left and left to go right!
   For me that's plain wizardy.....

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE