Following up on my recent post where I described a suddenly-occuring problem
in my JE500 where I can't record more than 4 seconds of material, despite
having obvious signal (analog) going to the machine and everything else as
it was before the problem began...

I have experimented with the following variables, to no avail:

    + Trying another disk (tried 2 different disks)
    + Tried a brand new disk (Sony 74)
    + Trying signal from a different playback device
    + Letting the machine be powered off overnight (tho
      not unplugged)
    + Trying stereo vs. mono

Trying a second MD unit (JE520) DID work (:>)

If anyone thinks there are troubleshooting ideas to apply, I'd appreciate
the feedback. It is beginning to appear that the machine has developed a
problem requiring service, which leads me to this question:

What are some good options for sending this unit in for servicing? Is
sending to a Sony Service Center near me the best answer, or are there
reliable independent authorized repair alternatives (particularly if any are
in the Dallas area would be helpful) to suggest? (The unit is not under
warranty.)

Thanks for the assistance.

Richard Huggins
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>