From: Ed Heckman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 8:51 AM
To: MiniDisc List
Subject: Re: MD: RE: Car MD/CD combo/MDX-C7900

At 4/27/00 9:10 PM, Austin Wallender increased the world's knowledge by
typing:

>What other head units are people looking at besides the Sony ones?

I recently installed a Kenwood KMD-870R. (It's last years 44W x 4 unit.)
I've been really happy with it. It doesn't look like it belongs in a
disco and the controls are very good. There is one rocker button that
controls volume and a separate 4-way set of buttons to control the radio
and MiniDisc player and any changer. Left and right control the radio
tuning or fast forward/reverse and the up and down buttons control the
band or selected disc if you have a changer installed. The play/pause
button is near the other 4 buttons. It's very intuitive and I don't even
have to look at the thing to make any necessary adjustments.

But why would you even bother with CDs in a car? I have yet to see a car
that provides an environment where you can hear any differences between
MD and CD. But CD's require more storage room and they're easier to
damage. Heck, I bought a cheap Sony portable CD player with an optical
out and I just dumped a bunch of CDs to MiniDisc. There's nothing illegal
about it (this falls under fair use provision of the Copyright Act) and
my CDs stay in the house where its safe and I can listen to them there.
If one of the MiniDiscs in my car is ever damaged, lost or stolen, then
all I have to do is make another copy.

 Ed "What the" Heckman                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]