From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]  On Behalf
Of Norlin, Chris
Sent:   Saturday, 29 April 2000 2:48
To:     '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject:        MD: Fair Use

Not to quibble over details - but I think the notion that copying a CD to MD
for personal use legal is based loosely on case law and not on "fair use".
Fair use (section 107 of the Copyright Act) allows a critic to quote a line
from a movie in his review or allows a professor to reproduce a page or two
from a novel for his class. It doesn't allow under any circumstance for
copying a work in its entirety. (See
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/faq.html#q47).