* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sun, 30 Apr 2000
| I was under the impression that "compression" (in the digital sense, not
| in the analog processing sense) meant taking a bit stream and reducing it.

Being the person in question, I have to point out that what I am trying to
convince him is that the process of converting from the analog domain to
the digital domain at CD-DA sampling rates is in fact a form of lossy
compression.  What you get out is smaller than what you put in (compare
with analog recordings on optical media like Laserdisc), and some
information is lost in the process.  If it walks like a duck....
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.