All other things being equal, 16-bit linear PCM takes up less space on a CD
than analog audio does; cf CD-Video (not to be confused with VideoCD).  The
sampling process has made the data smaller.  Playback of the PCM data is in
most cases almost indistinguishable from the analog original.  This meets
the criteria of every definition of "lossy compression" that has been
posted.

Another example: cellular vs. digital pcs.  Same absolute bandwidth.  No
conventional compression.  Yet you can get several times more effective
bandwidth with pcs on the same carrier as you can with cellular.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck.

I have explained exactly why I say that A to D, where D is smaller than A,
is compression, not in the specific context of digital signal processing,
which has a very narrow definition, but in the more general context of
making a thing smaller.  I have cited references where feasable (admittedly
not many, but enough).  I have cited examples of A vs. D, where D is
smaller than A, on identical and nearly identical media.  You, the list at
large, sometimes agree that any process that makes a thing smaller is
compression.  Now I am calling you on the proof by assertion.  Saying A to
D is not compression does not make it so.  The conversion from analog to
digital domains does not change the fact that D is smaller than A, which
fits every definition of data compression that has been posted.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.