* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Mon, 01 May 2000
| Actually, you will find that digital cellular systems virtually
| universally use lossy compression for the voice.  GSM for sure does, and
| most others I have seen do.

Actually, no, they don't.  This comes straight from a guy who co-wrote the
Sprint PCS software (he is now my co-sysmonster).  The FCC does not allow
compression or encryption; all civilian aerial broadcasts must be clear.
The lossy compression you describe is achieved by ratcheting back the
sampling frequency rate to concentrate on the baritone and tennor ranges,
ignoring the bass and alto ranges entirely.

It is the same thing CD-DA sampling does.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover