[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> | ...reducing data so as to require less digital bits to transmit.  The
> | increase in carrier capacity or decrease in storage space are just side
> | effects; the critical reason it's considered compression is because there
> | are less bits needed to transmit the signal.
>
> Less bits needed to transmit the signal = effectively increasing carrier
> capacity.
>
> | You are making the same mistake over and over.  You are trying to look at
> | analog and digital signals and claiming that because some particular way
> | of encoding analog signals may take up more space than another particular
> | way of encoding digital signals, therefore it's a form of compression.
>
> You are making the same mistake over and over.  You are trying to look at
> audio sampling under the very strict definitions of communications rather
> than the more generalized definitions used by the layman.

Sory Rat, but I CAN mathematicly prove you that under the right conditions, A/D
conversion is just a conversion. It's not a form of compression. Take a cours
at the Uni in Discrete Signal Processing and you'll see that you're wrong!

> | Analog to digital covnersion is NOT compression.  CITE A SOURCE if you are
> | going to continue to assert this.
>
> CD-Video.

Well, you just can't store 30 minutes of video on a 12 cm disc digitaly without
doing any kind of compression. (And in the case of CD-Video that's MPEG1)

> | Sadly, I haven't found a source that stated that ADC was not compression;
> | most people in the field would never even consider that as a possibility.
>
> I'm not talking about what "people in the field" think.  I am talking about
> what everybody else thinks.

Hmmm,

I rather had the impression that there is nobody (except for you) out there
that thinks about ADC as a form of compression....

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE