* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Tue, 02 May 2000
| ATRAC is an algorithm.  GSM is an algorithm.  MPEG is an algorithm.

Algorithmic transformation.  ATRAC is not a transformation (strictest
definition).  What you get out is the same as what you put in, just less of
it.  MP3 is actually two algorithms, a bitwise reduction and Huffman
coding; the Huffman coding is a transformation.

| ...reducing data so as to require less digital bits to transmit.  The
| increase in carrier capacity or decrease in storage space are just side
| effects; the critical reason it's considered compression is because there
| are less bits needed to transmit the signal.

Less bits needed to transmit the signal = effectively increasing carrier
capacity.

| You are making the same mistake over and over.  You are trying to look at
| analog and digital signals and claiming that because some particular way
| of encoding analog signals may take up more space than another particular
| way of encoding digital signals, therefore it's a form of compression.

You are making the same mistake over and over.  You are trying to look at
audio sampling under the very strict definitions of communications rather
than the more generalized definitions used by the layman.

| Analog to digital covnersion is NOT compression.  CITE A SOURCE if you are
| going to continue to assert this.

CD-Video.

| Sadly, I haven't found a source that stated that ADC was not compression;
| most people in the field would never even consider that as a possibility.

I'm not talking about what "people in the field" think.  I am talking about
what everybody else thinks.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \