* Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Thu, 11 May 2000
| Ok, my curiosity is up.  I've seen a couple of criticisms now of the "end
| search" button.  What's the beef?  I find it quite handy when I'm
| conducting multiple recording sessions on the same disk.  Am I missing
| something?

Whenever you want to erase or overwrite something on an MD, the recorder
asks for some kind of confirmation.  Makes sense, really, requiring user
input of some sort to prevent accidental and irrevocable destruction of a
recording.  The end search "feature" gives you the ability to accidentally
and irrevocably destroy a recording without any input at all.  That is, if
you forget to push the end search button when you begin recording, the new
recording will begin at the point where previous playback or recording left
off.

Only Sony portable recorders have this misfeature.  Recorders other than
Sony portables (and this includes Sony home decks) assume that you want to
append new recordings instead of overwriting existing recordings, unless
you tell the recorder otherwise.

In other words, what you are "missing" is that you have yet to accidentally
forget to press the end search button and lose a one chance only recording.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged