I don't understand, I guess. I have two desktop MD components and one
player-only. So I'm in the dark about end search. But...are you all saying
that if your recording portable is in the STOPPED position, it STILL will
overwrite material if RECORD is pressed? As was mentioned, the desktops have
an automatic end-search when REC is pressed, if they are in STOP position.
And if you are in Pause, an "Overwrite?" warning comes on, requiring
confirmation.

If a recording portable won't overwrite if starting from the STOP position
(not PAUSE), then why would it be any easier to use END SEARCH? Or any more
of a problem than simply to get in the habit of going to STOP. Yes, we all
forget, so I go back to my original question as to if the recorder portable
overwrites even if in stop, unless end search is pressed.

Educate me!

Richard