* "Aston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Fri, 12 May 2000
| I'm looking for an amp or receiver with digital (optical) input, so I can
| plug my MD player (and my computer) into it.  Any suggestions on a good one
| for $300-400?  I've done some research into the Sony line and the STR-DE835
| looks good, but what other brands are out there that have optical ins?

I am going to assume that by "amplifier" you mean "integrated receiver/
amplifier".  Generally speaking, "good" and "$300-400 are mutually
exclusive (says the guy with the NAD amp :).  Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic,
Onkyo, Technics, etc., make okay consumer grade stuff.  Sony is probably
the most consistent: always slightly better than the average for the grade,
never inferior, but never superior, either.  I'd recomend looking at Onkyo
receivers if you are going to stay with consumer grade equipment.

If you want to take a step up, the NAD T760 is a good buy.  It has two RCA
inputs and one TOSLink input.  Cost is about $850.  Sounds significantly
better than my old Pioneer receiver.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should