Marc asked:

: I never got a cleaner, how often do you find it necessary to do?

Simon answered,

| From what I've read, the answer seems to be: NEVER. Just say no.

That was the caution for *lens* cleaners.  Their bristles can, many people
say, damage the lens.  It is not the case for head cleaners, which are non-
abrasive, but they don't seem to accomplish anything anyway.

Jim responded,

| The consensus is don't use a head cleaner because you risk damaging the
| unit.  THe laser lens is plastic.  It isn't built like a magnetic head
| on a tape machine and shouldn't contact the disc.  If you bought a head
| cleaner, your best bet is to throw it away.  Only use it as a last
| resort, just before you take it in to be repaired.

Jim, I think you're confusing lens cleaners with head cleaners.  Head
cleaners don't touch the lens, and the *record* head does touch the disc
(the playback head does not and should never need cleaning).