on 5/13/00 10:27 PM, Matthew Wall at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  ...about 6 months ago or so the selection for MD players and such
>  at best buy was at an all time high.
>  Recently i went in and they had 2 different models,...
>  Anyone know if they are gonna keep carrying them or if they
>  are being complete idiots?

I certainly cannot speak for Best Buy's policy, however, their method of
ordering seems able to overlook things.  In the store near me, there are
about 8 different portable MD units, and perhaps 4 different home units,
usually bundle packs or side by a CD.  And of the variety of places I go to
find R70's, R90's or Sharps, Best Buy was the first to restock the R70's.
They have stopped stocking prerecorded MDs, but I cannot say that is a
fault.  The MD section of their store seems better attended by potential
buyers then the portable cassette section.  But that might also be a matter
of the time needed to learn the difficulties or uniqueness of function of
the units.  Cassettes are by now, for most, a no brainer.  Plus, it appears
MD prices are dropping, on better generation equipment.  With the ability to
instant access, edit and the small size, I suspect sales will only increase,
as one salesmen had informed me.

The main observation I can make regarding Best Buys lack of interest in MD's
is noted by the time an money they have invested to well train and better
(barely) educate staff in the mobile phone, video camera, and digital camera
dept.  I can rarely find staff in the MD section, and when I do, they
usually admit to their ignorance, or give the best misinformation
imaginable, as in "I really do no something, really.."  -  NOT.  Like the
one salesmen who pointed to the remote port and called it a USB port on a
unit with no such ability.  So when he told me why the R55 was a better unit
than the R70, I had trouble listening.

and - on 5/14/00 7:40 AM, Kheops GlassArt at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Best buy don't succeed on selling MD player and recorder... I've asked a lot
> of store and they told me, mostly for portable, than customer came to best
> buy or circuit city to try the md unit and don't bought them to the store
> but online...
>
> Of course, with internet competition and good price, we can have any
> portable unit for very less than all these Big Store...

An R70 seems to go for about $229 at stores and online.  Am I wrong, is
there a "For American Markets" R70 online at much of a savings over this?
Plus no shipping and instant gratification, I do not see where Best Buy is
exactly hurting.  Of course, their sales talent is nil in this area, that
may kill them.  But that just forces one to rely on a variety of sources for
research, as it should be.

Marc