Jeanmougin wrote:

> All the portables have  stereo microphone inputs but the majority of mics are
> powered with low voltage. The consequence is that if you plug them to the mic
> input, you will have to raise the recording volume and, in that case, you will have
> a backgroung noise (caused by the mic input).

I have never run into trouble with background noise from the mike input
of a minidisc recorder.   The only extraneous noise I have ever picked
up using my plug in mike
http://www.tir.com/~liteways/Mandolin.html#Microphone
has been when I recorded extremely quiet conversations, or tried to
record the sounds of nature.  Only in these quiet setting, did  I have
to turn the record level up high enough that I could hear a quiet tick
sound every few seconds that sounded like a clock ticking only much
slower.  It turned out that the sound is the sound of a portable
recorder's motor starting and stopping the disc as it records.  It is
very rare that you have to turn the level up that high, certainly you
would not hear that recording someone playing music, even on a flute or
soprano recorder.

> So, you'd better use mics with a
> battery box that allows mics to be plugged to line input (less, less noisy). For
> more details, go at www.soundprofessionnals.com .

Those are good folk at Sound Professionals and I recommend them.
However, you will only need the battery box if you are trying to record
loud bands or rock concerts.

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways