I have the same recorder, so I'll take a stab at answering your questions.

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, susan wrote:

>just got a sharp 722 MD and made my first recordings with a borrowed stereo
>mic (battery powered which they say not to do)

They mean don't plug a powered mic into the "mic in/plug in power" port.  You
can use powered mics with the "optical/line in port", though.

>I will be camping w/o electricity access for about a week and it says not to
>use the alkaline rechargable AA battery alone. I am not clear if they mean
>that I cannot use it without the regular battery in whether it is charged or
>not, whether I can use a non rechargeable alkaline battery or what. I will
>be making lots of recordings during this week and need battery power alone.

The way the instructions read, it looks as though they recommend that you
always leave the lithium ion battery in, even if it's drained and your only
power supply is from continually replacing AA batteries as you use them up.
I've tested the recorder, and it runs off a AA battery, whether or not the
rechargeable is inserted or not.  It doesn't seem like it really matters, but
you might as well leave the Li battery in just the same, and take the
wall-power supply, in case you get a chance to recharge the internal battery
and save yourself and the environment the cost of a few "disposable"
batteries.

>Also, we got a bunch of noise on the recording--how hi should the mic be and
>can I use any decent stereo mic? Radio shack OK? I've seen some of these
>little minidisc mics but need one this week and want to use a regular one I
>can get easily. What mic level volume do u recommend for acoustic music?
>This is played outdoors with wind blowing and lots of other noise around so
>a real sensitive mic might not be the best--

I tested my recorder recently at both an acoustic music session and a
loud-but-not-painfully-so amplified concert.  I used mics that would probably
retail for $30--a friend builds his own, so it's hard to say for sure--and
they worked well at the acoustic show without an external power supply (or
"phantom power"), plugged into the "plug in power" jack and with the volume
set to between 16 and 20.  Higher than that and the record meter tended to go
into the "over" region; less than that sounded OK, but was obviously recorded
quieter than necessary.

For the louder concert, I used the same mics and a home-made box (same
friend) that supplies
9 volts of power, so I plugged the box into the "line out" on the recorder.
With this set-up, I got an excellent recording with the volume set in the high
20's--nearly to 30, which is the highest setting on the 722.

>From this statistically insufficient sample, I'd say that for acoustic
performances, anything that you can get your hands on should work fine.
You might even want to get mics that _don't_ have their own power.  The
powered mics should be handy in louder situations, though.  As for the wind
interference, you can get foam coverings for most kinds of mics--even tiny
ones--that should help, but don't expect miracles.  Always sit as close as you
can to the musicians (again, assuming they're not amplified), and set the
recording level so that the meter hits the highest level as much as possible,
without reaching the "over" bar.

Two other bits of info:  Remember that you're using your recorder's power
whenever you have mics plugged into the powered jack (the red one), whether or
not you're actually recording.  Also, use headphones when you're recording;
you can catch subtle defects on-the-fly, like extraneous noise that can be
eliminated by pointing a mic in a different direction.

>What software should I use to edit discs on computer? Can I copy a track
>from one disc to another?
>my CD car kit works for playing back which is nice.
>thanks
>Susan

I haven't used any PC software for editing, just full-size minidisc decks that
let you
edit tracks to the nearest hundredth of a second.  If you get access to one of
these, you can use the optical cable supplied with your recorder to make a
digital copy from the larger deck to your portable.  Otherwise, you'll need to
make an analog copy from one portable to another.

Dave.

David Witzany
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             ....one of Nature's bounds checkers