Hi,

the 3/5/10 selection is for microphone recordings only. If you use a mic,
make sure you plug it into the red jack.

If doing analog recording (non-mic), auto mark can be turned off, but
there's no automatic time-based track marks. Most optical-in recordings will
have the same track marks as the source.

In case you haven't read to the section... press rec (unit) or sound
(remote) to add manual marks.

Leon
fellow 831 owner :)