Susan has a disc whose shutter doesn't latch any more.  Shawn advised her,

| If [the latch is] broken off or missing, you'll just have to live with
| the shutter sliding around.  I think the MD will still work with no
| problems, but you could always pull the shutter off completely if it
| bothers you.

I know that an MD will work with a shutter that doesn't latch, but will it
work with no shutter at all?  Won't the insertion mechanisms object to ac-
cepting a disc without a shutter?  (That may vary from unit to unit.)

I'd suggest first sliding the shutter all the way up to see if it latches,
and if not, then just putting up with the loose shutter, closing it manually
and keeping that disc in its case to minimize exposure to dust.