[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As an aside, even though making wafers smaller reduces materials cost, the
> cost of etching increases as the size of the wafer decreases.  The point of
> cutting them smaller is to increase speed, not reduce cost.

Wrong, the wafer size stays the same. It's the die size that gets smaller. The
cost of etching (which is only one of the many possible processes), doping etc,
stays the same.

Cheers,
Ralph -> getting off topic

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE