Julien Blaise asked,

| Once, a friend gave me a burned audio cd, and when I tried to copy it
| digitally to my R55 it said "NoCopy" !!!
| So I would like to know how SCMS works when you copy an audio CD,
| because now I have a cd-writer and  I copied an audio cd and then I
| tried to put this copy on MD, to see what's happening. And to my
| surprise I was able to copy this copy (!) to my MD.
| To burn this CD, I used WinOnCD.
| So, is it the software or the cd-writer? Also I saw in Nero a Copyright
| option. Is it SCMS  ??

Yes, it's very much SCMS.

Since you mention WinOnCD and Nero, I gather you wrote your CD on a com-
puter's CDR drive.  Computers are not audio devices primarily, and they are
exempt from SCMS.  When you burn a CD from a computer, the burning software
has to set the SCMS bits on the CD somehow, but it doesn't need to comply
with SCMS.  So some burning programs always set the SCMS bits for one more
generation of copying, and some let the user decide how to set them, and
there are other possibilities (which I haven't seen myself).

If your friend used a standalone audio CD recorder and made a digital
transfer from a source coded to allow only one generation of copying, then
it follows that the CDR was coded to forbid any digital copying.  But the
rules are different from burners that are computer peripherals and recorders
that are separate audio components.