Leon theorized,

| If I'm not mistaken, the 940 can do up to 320 minutes of stereo recording,
| from using ATRAC3 encoding.  So Sony may have left mono recording out.

I hope not, though.  It makes no sense to reduce the bit-rate by 50% to make
room to have redundant copies of identical left and right tracks if the
material is monaural.  I'd rather write 160 minutes of mono at full bit-rate
than two copies of it at half the rate, or 320 minutes of mono at half the
rate rather than two copies of it at one-fourth the bit-rate.  And that's
assuming that nobody would have use for 640 minutes of mono on a single disc,
but I'm sure there are some good uses for it (overnight security phone line
or security desk microphone transcripts, for example).