Jonathan wrote,

| It's possible that in your case the Left and Right channels are getting
| slightly out of sync. with each other somewhere during the recording
| process.  To see if this is the case you could record in stereo from a
| source with two identical channels and then do an L-R comparison after
| recording to the MD.  If they were out of sync. then this would tend to
| reduce the amplitude causing what you are observing.

I had done an L-R on the original source track before copying it to MD, and
it flatlined.  If recording to MD in mono knocks the channels out of sync,
there is no way to tell afterward, because the MD recording is marked as mono
and will play back with two identical channels.

Recording to MD in stereo won't tell us any details about the volume loss,
because the volume loss won't occur.