The local BB, here, has a small numbr of MD units...mostly the
portables.  Lots of Sony, a Sharp and some brand I'd never heard of (and
ain't too likely to buy).

The only had one bookshelf system which, at $450+, I wasn't too
interested in, either.  They didn't have any decks, at all.

I didn't see any blank media, nor any prerecorded items, but I didn't
look very hard, either.

One thing I learned a long time ago:  If you're looking for sales people
with even a moderate facsimilie of a clue, never shop at Best Buy or
CompUSA.  Even half the Circuit City folks I talk to have no clue.