"Exactly my original point. I am not an audiophile but I do recognize a good and useful
media when I see it..... I would not hear the difference on $40 headphones, and
probably
not on $150 headphones either (unless it was pointed out to me)... What I care about,
and what makes MD so attractive to me is its convience. Sony et al must know that
people
tape CDs for each other all the time. And they can't  be so stupid as to think that
they
wiil kill off services/programs like Napster.... Stuff like that will always be going
on
on the Net... why don't they make it easy and available for the most people to do it in
the best format? They would make more money than Microsoft (and probably get sued by
the
governement too)!

Charlie"

I think that there is a basic difference between the average American and average
Japanese
person when it comes to high tech.  The average American still has a VCR in their
living
room that is blinking 12:00...12:00...12:00...........They aren't interested in all of
the
editing features of MD.

As some one stated before, Sony should come out with a very basic unit.  No editing
features
or they should be hidden under a flap labeled "for advanced users only".

They need the equivalent of the simple cassette deck for many Americans.  But Sony is a
Japanese company.  They my have their name on our records and movies now, but I think
that
they stay totally away from the creative end.  If Sony had it's own people making
movies and
records for the US market, they'd be out of business by now.

But when it comes to MD, they never designed MD recorders for the Japanese market and
separate recorders for the US market.  They need a recorder that a person shopping in
K-Mart
or Wal-Mart would see and want to buy.  This is not to put down Wal-Mart.  They are
very
well stocked in general (the entire store) and usually have very good prices).  But the
average shopper going in there isn't looking for a Sony MDS-JA50ES.

I'm not sure that, even if I could afford one, I'd buy one.  Cost aside, it depends
how much
of a hobbist/prosumer you are.  Maybe 30 years ago I'd have liked one.  I was really
into
all kinds of electronics and had the time and patience for that.  But the average
American
does not.

This is not to say that they don't appreciate quality, or the CD and the DVD would have
never become popular.  But if you want to you can ignore all of the bell and whistles
on a
DVD player and just hit the play button.  Americans are not blind.  Even on an old TV
you
are going to see and hear a big improvement over VHS.

The state that I live in (PA) is so hi tech backwards that the state has instituted a
2 week
period of sales tax free computers!!  That is something I have never heard of before.
It
seems that the American average for computer owners is 42% and PA is only 39%.

Even 42% is really nothing when you think about it.  I saw a couple (at Wal-Mart-where
else)
buying a "Web TV" today.  My first thought was "Why?"  For what they will end up
paying for
the complete system, they could have a much more useful computer.  But these people are
frightened of the computer.

So how can you expect someone to understand the Mini Disc??  Just give them a Rio with
fixed memory.  They don't want to have to worry about inserting the right card.  So it
sounds like sh!t.  (It still sounds a hell of a lot better then those tiny tinny
transistor
radios we used to carry around with the 2' speaker).  So what.  It's music.  Its cheap
and
it's simple.

Larry