[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Jonathan Irwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > So, to conclude, Sony's monauralizing algorithm has the channels out of
> > sync. by one sample, with the left channel one sample in front of the
> > right channel.  I don't think this is occuring in the SPDIF data stream
> > because the synchronisation information embedded wouldn't allow this.
> > Instead I think there is a bug in Sony's DSP software.
> >
> > I will post a more mathematical proof of this at a later date.
>
> Holy Sh*t!
>
> May I ask that you please write up your findings carefully and let me
> post it as its own web page on the MDCP?
>
> It would be interesting to try this experiment on some other
> equipment, a portable, and a machine from a different manufacturer.
>
> Thank you for exposing this bug!!! (And thank you David, for wondering
> about it ...)
>
> Rick

Why should it be a bug? It could be a way to get around the following
problem:
L = -R.... Ie, The left channel has the opposite phase of the right
channel. Thus (L+R)/2 would result in 0.... With (L(t)+R(t-1))/2 you keep
a signal!

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE