On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Ralph Smeets wrote:

> Why should it be a bug? It could be a way to get around the following
> problem:
> L = -R.... Ie, The left channel has the opposite phase of the right
> channel. Thus (L+R)/2 would result in 0.... With (L(t)+R(t-1))/2 you keep
> a signal!

You have a good point here, but I would assume the algorithm is trying to
emulate what would happen if the audio was played through a normal
analogue mixer (or a set of speakers, for that matter), and in both these
situations if the left and right channels had opposite phase, they would
cancel out (ie (L+R)/2 = 0).

Jonathan