> Yeah, other than bootlegging, there's no other reason for me to get a
> portable recorder. I'm about to get the Sony MXD-D3, cause my cd player
> broke and my JE510 likes to spit out discs and grind it's gears.

Now you have just given the best reason for getting a recorder.  The Tascam
is not for taking with you.  CDs are bulky and your JE510 isn't working
properly.

Since for practical purposes there is no difference in the price of a
player and a recorder, it makes sense to have a backup.  Also, with a
little mike, you never know when it might come in handy for taping a
lecture or something in mono.

Regards,
Larry