I currently have an Sony MDS-PC2 MD recorder and a Sony CRX-120E USB CD
recorder.  This wish list covers both MD and CDR, since one of the things I
would like to see is better software integration.

1) For the MD: USB - USB - USB for both audio and control!  This would solve
a couple current problems:
  a) Sony MDS-PC2 does not accept S/PDIF from Midiman DIO2448.
  b) Eliminate the forest of cables between MDS-PC2 and computer.
  c) Eliminate the need for a sound card with digital I/O.
  d) Eliminate the CAV-50C and a need for an RS232 on the computer.

2) For the CDR: USB drivers that are compatible with other mass storage.  It
currently has *major* compatibility problems with my Iomega Zip 250 USB; I
can't have the drivers for both installed simultaneously.  Microsoft is the
root of this problem, since they don't provide much support for USB mass
storage under Windows 98, so each manufacturer hacked their own
(incompatible) support into Windows.   The goal of USB is to provide a
positive experience for the user: easy installation, hot swapping, etc.
This definitely fails miserably!

3) Integrated software that handles both MD and CDR.  One could start by
merging MD Editor 2 and CD Extreme into a single program.  Some neat
features:
  a) Easy drag and drop track-by-track copying from MD to CD and CD to MD,
all in the digital domain, including titles!
  b) One button "copy entire disk"; CD to MD and MD to CD.
  c) Support for copying to/from MP3 and/or WAV (CD Extreme has this, MD
Editor 2 does not).

One thing that is absent from my wish list is MD Data support via USB.  I
wouldn't complain if they implemented it, but I don't really need it.  I am
very comfortable using CDR for data archiving.