I have had a DIO2448 for about 6 months.  I'm writing this because DIO2448
information is currently on the Minidisc Community page.  The DIO2448 has 6
connectors on the attached bracket: TOSlink in, TOSlink out, S/PDIF coax in,
S/PDIF coax out, and 2 RCA connectors for analog line level output.

The good features of the DIO2448 are:
1) High quality, low distortion, low noise analog output, much better than
many sound cards or motherboard audio.
2) TOSlink and coax digital inputs and outputs.
3) Native support for both 44.1KHz (MD) and 48KHz unlike some 48KHz only
outputs.
4) RCA analog output connectors; much more reliable than mini-phone jacks
due to the higher contact pressure.
5) Up to 24-bits supported.   Machines with ATRAC 4.5 generate 20-bit audio,
ATRAC "R" generate 24-bit audio.  But resolution greater that 16-bits is not
well supported by most PC software.
6) Low cost.  I got mine for $120.

The problems with the DIO2448 are:
1) Digital output not accepted by Sony MDS-PC2.
2) No digital input switching.  The TOSlink, coax and internal TTL header
are all ORed together, so you can only connect a signal to one at a time.

Routing features, may be useful, may be a problem, depeding on your
application:
1) Analog outputs can be switched to monitor the digital output or the
digital input.
2) Digital outputs can be switched to the DAC or to the digital inputs
("loop" mode).
3) No analog input, so you have to use the ADC in the minidisc.

Loop mode does *not* retime or modify the digital audio signal in any way.
Several people have suggested that I connect the S/PDIF header on my CDROM
to the header on the DIO2448 in an attempt to fix the "DIN unlock" problem
that occurs between tracks.  Not only does the *not* change anything, but it
effectively disables use of the TOSlink or coax inputs!

I've been using the DIO2448 for input (from the MDS-PC2) only.  I added a
TOSlink transmitter to my motherboard (16-bit only) and am using that to
transfer from the PC to the MD.