> Guess I've never seen much use for pre-recorded MDs.

But compact cassettes had a large market share in the prerecorded area.  Even
though the durability and fidelity was poor.  The MD does everything the cassette
does only better and with many more options (not even counting the digital
aspect).

> To me, the whole point
> of the MD format is to be able to make compilations & trades(and live
> recordings, if you're into that aspect).  If you don't use a stripper and two
> MD recorders, you can't clone a pre-rec MD or record individual tracks off of
> it, so it's no wonder people don't buy them.

Since the MD can't make an exact digital copy do to compression, it really
doesn't seem right that they place copy protection on an MD while not on the
tape.

If  Sony was still in the recording business and not the record and movie
business, I'll bet they would have fought SCMS just like they defended tape.

Larry