"Les" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>A lot of truth here but you might want to consider component quality
>and not just system quality. There are cd players and there are HDCD
>players of considerable quality difference. I have yet to see any of
>the so called really high end gear companies produce MD decks. I
>would venture to say that if you had a Sony ES CD deck and A Sony ES
>MD deck you should not be able to so readily hear a difference. From
>the sounds of your system I would bet your CD deck is either a pro
>model or very high end HDCD. Perhaps if you had a pro model or super
>high end MD deck (if indeed they are available) the comparison would
>be more fair. After all a Technics is not going to sound like a
>Harman Kardon or Onkyo, much less something better like a NAD! So, it
>is my firm opinion that your cd deck MUST be far superior to your MD
>deck if you can so easily tell a difference.

My CD player is an NAD 502. A very good standalone player, but not a
"pro" model (not sure what you mean by "pro"), nor is it a "very high end
HDCD" (which won't make a difference on non-HDCDs). I don't have a Sony
ES MD component for playback -- I use the line out on my JVC home unit or
on my MZ-R50 -- but I personally think that in my system the limiting
factor is the quality of the MD recording, not the playback unit.

>Except, I say again; when you turn the volume up to a normal rock and roll
>level its going to take Superman to hear any difference at all; not just
>between formats but between any decent gear as well (providing the same
>quality speakers are being used, speakers being the most crucial of all
>audio components).

True, but I don't listen to my rock music that loud ;-) And while turning
up the volume on rock music can "drown out" the differences in sound
quality, turning up the volume on classical pieces doesn't quite have the
same effect. In fact, it often "shows" differences.

>Also, until about 3 months ago I would have agreed with you totally
>on MP3. Since audio is my profession I took another look and have
>found there are now extremely high quality MP3s on the net. When
>converted to waves and burned to CD they are about as good as
>anything, which is why there is now such a fuss about themn I guess.

I have yet to find an MP3 that has quality good enough to compete with CD
or MD, but that's just me ;-)