It seems to me that a medium is analog if, upon inspection, one can discern a
pattern in the medium that is analogous to the source event. Thus the grooves in
a vinyl LP can be seen to vary in proportion to changes in frequency and
amplitude of the source. One can even, with a microscope, discern similar
patterns in the magnetic particles on analog tap, video tape, granules on
celluloid film, movement of speaker diaphragms, etc. Digital media show no such
"analogous" patterns. In fact, there is no necessary connection between a
particular frequency or amplitude measure and the code needed to represent it.
The code can be totally arbitrary for any value as long as it is consistent and
"understood" by both recorder and player. You can inspect a CD until you are blue
in the face and you will not be able to discern a pattern that is analogous to
the source. It only becomes analog again when it is converted. The underlying
substrate in CDs is not "ultimately analog." Am I missing something in the
traditional definitions of analog and digital?

Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> * "J. Coon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Tue, 22 Aug 2000
> | PCM is digital. CDs are digital.
>
> All true.  But the underlying substrate is ultimately analog, as is just
> about any recording medium, which is the point the twice times previous
> poster was trying to make.
> --
> Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
> Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container and
> PGP Key: at a key server near you!  \ kept under refrigeration.

James S. Lee    | Net: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Communication Studies, CB# 6235 | Phn: 919-962-4963
University of North Carolina - CH | Fax: 919-962-3305
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-6235  | Web: www.unc.edu/~jimlee/