Neil wrote,

| I then used my 709 to play a CD, and used the digital connection (thru the
| convertor) as input to my MT-16 and recorded it. However it didn't record
| any track marks (AUTO-MARK was set on the MT-16, but should be irrelevant
| for digital recordings).

The CO3 is said to have the same problem.  The subcode information from which
track mark locations are inferred is removed, so the recorder believes that a
single long track continues and continues.

| Is there any reason that people know, as to why my DVD / VCD / CD player
| wouldn't send track marks for audio CDs?

First, you have to understand that there is no such thing as "sending a track
mark" or "receiving a track mark."  They are only implied and inferred.
Track divisions are reproduced in digital transfers when the subcode indi-
cates a change of source track number, a transition from out-of-track to in-
track, or a change of sampling rate (and probably for a change of source me-
dium code, but I've never had a way to isolate that from the other reasons
to mark a new track and test it all alone), the recorder marks a new track.
But there is no code or signal in S/PDIF that means "new track starts now."

Most likely the DVD player is sending information from which track division
locations can be inferred, but the CO2 is stripping it out.  If you connected
the coax out of your 709 to the coax in of your X5H without going through
the CO2, you'd probably get proper track marks.  That would be the first
thing to try.  If it works, then you know it's the CO2 and not the 709.

I assure you that there is nothing inherent in format conversion that forces
loss of that information: I've converted from optical to coax (and just
thought of a way I could test going from coax to optical) with other devices
and the track marks were reproduced properly.