> >I would say that every mini disc deck currently made has a digital optical
> >output.  When you say does it make a difference do you mean compared to
> analog
> >or a coaxial output?
>
> Most of the sony decks don't seem to have a digital out.  They all have
> digital in.  For example,
> Sony MD-D3 only seems to have analog out.  The 900 series seems to have
> digital out.  I am talking about connecting the deck to a receiver using
> digital as apposed to analog connects.
> When I am asking about better fidelity (that was a very good point) I am
> asking about listening nor recording.  I know the receiver needs to change
> it to analog before sending it to the speakers.  So I am not sure if there
> is a large benefit to having a deck with digital out.  (Unless you want to
> record from minidisc to minidisc).
>
>  Since the decks have digital in, there does not really exist an issue as to
> recording digital or analog.  My cd player has a digital out.  Which I can
> connect to the input of the deck.

Since the original Sony MZ-1 portable, which had both digital in and out, no
portable recorder that I can think of do not have digital outputs.  But It would
have to be a very cheap MD player not to have one.

I just realized this very second, you may be referring to CD players and not MD
decks.  As far as CD decks go, perhaps someone on the list knows of a site on
the internet that has an equipment browser for CD equipment, like MD does.

> Have a  great weekend,

Larry