When I said,

> Right now I have a choice to make when the situation arises: record to the R3
> and use an older ATRAC algorithm (Sony 3.0), or record in stereo and not save
> the disc space.  Lopping off one sample gives unpredictable results.

Jonathan Irwin answered,

| Hmm... do you have access to a JE5xx deck to test it on?

I've a JE500 and a JE520.  I didn't test on those, only on the W1, because
access behind my stack of components to the jacks is limited, and I hate to
get back there and try to reconnect things (and then afterward to move the
connections back where they were).  Unfortunately, a form-over-function de-
mentia exists among manufacturers that jacks and cables are not *pretty* and
thus must be hidden out of view and out of reach.