On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:20:39 +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  From the tone of the list, I have heard many negative comments about
vehicle
>  builders like VW making it hard for us to hook up portable MD and MP3
>  players to newer factory-supplied car-audio setups. As I said before,
this
>  has caused fellow listmembers to downgrade to vehicle packages that don't
>  match what they really want or stay away from certain desireable vehicles
>  when the time comes around to change vehicles; just so they can have a
>  cassette player to use with their cassette adaptor or a sound system that
>  has a front-panel CD-IN socket.
>
>  Does anyone know if there are any devices that allow an MD changer or MD
>  Walkman to be hooked in to newer VW sound systems?

I drive a current model VW Passat, which had the VW Gamma sound unit in (RDS
receiver, full logic tape deck, with support for CD changer). I was always
quite pleased with the sound from it, and the speakers installed as stock (4
front, 4 rear - 2 in each door). When I first bought an MD portable, I used
a cassette adapter, which worked quite well - and I was happy with the
results.

Since, I've had a Sony Minidisc head unit fitted - by VW, and I'm happy
enough with it, the sound is good enough, and it's easy to use. This
supports a CD / MD changer, too. I understand the car is wired up, as
standard, for a CD changer in the boot / trunk - whether this cabling would
be OK for another vendor's changer, I don't know.

However, there are some features from the stock stereo that I miss (GALA -
the automatic adjustment of the volume, as road spead increases / decreases
- stuff like that - I found it very useful), and the styling of the OEM unit
looks considerably better in the car, than the Sony unit I have at present.

So, silly 'though it may sound, I'm considering having the original head
unit put back in, and using a cassette adapter with one of my portables
again.

But in reply to the general question over whether VW discourage owners from
using MD - I'd say they make no particular effort either way - not tangibly
different from any other manufacturer IMO.

Neil