"David W. Tamkin" wrote:
> Scale factor edit is not the only way.  Many recorders do allow setting gain
> on digital input.  However, I've never heard of any that have automatic gain
> control for it, only for analog input.  Because I have many CDs that are
> mastered too softly, I find digital gain adjustment indispensable.

I have many CD's that are mastered too loudly.  The majority of CD's
that are released nowdays have had their dynamics squashed right out of
them, since louder-is-better, right?  It is the exact same process that
makes TV commercials seem louder than the regular program--Dynamic
compression.  I hate it on commercials, and I hate it on my music.  (I'm
talking about compressing the final mix up to the very limits, not
compression applied in the mixing process)

Listen to Peter Gabriel's "Security" album.  Most of the songs sound
much quieter than most CDs today, but the peak levels are exactly the
same.  The difference is that on "Security" the peak levels are saved
for the moments when they are needed for maximum effect, like on the
ends of tracks like "The Rhythm of the Heat."   Or take the track "My
God" for Jethro Tull's "Aqualung."  The wide dynamic range helps to
emphasize the drama of the music.

Contrast that with "Judith" by A Perfect Circle.  The dynamics are the
same throughout, even in the "quiet" parts, which have been compressed
to bring up the average signal level.  The song is not nearly as
dramatic as it could be.

OK.  end rant.  And remember, it's just my opinion.

-steve